I have now entered my second week in Argentina and things are going good. Last week I was reading the literature my contact person gave me and it gave me some new insights and ideas for my interviews. So everyday last week I biked to the humanities faculty and studied in the library as the good student I am 😉 Now I feel a bit more confident on the current academic discussion on the issue of abortion and this is good knowledge for both the writing of the thesis and the interviews.
Yesterday I meet with my contact person again and I showed her my interview questions. She gave me some really useful help in formulating the questions in Spanish, since Spanish not my mother language I sometimes need help with the translation.
Now it is time to contact the women for my interviews. My contact person has given me some contacts that I am now getting in touch with. One of them lives in the south of Argentina so hopefully a trip will be organized to the beautiful south.
Besides studying I have had time to enjoy the weekend with some friends. The plan for Friday was to go see a theater because it “La noche de los teatros” (the night of theater) and all the theater plays were free. After visiting three different theaters and all of them were full we decided to go to a bar instead. Saturday night continued in a cultural vibe when I went to the cinema with a friend to see a feminist movie from the 70’s. The movie was centered around the abortion struggle and the idea of motherhood in France during that period and it was so really mind opening to see that these are themes that we are still discussing in modern times in both Sweden and especially here in Argentina.
This is a poster that I found at the faculty, 9 reasons (because unfortunately number 10 was not captured in the foto) for demanding legal abortion in Argentina. They are all reasons that illuminate the current discussing of abortin in the country and the social affects it has, and i thought it could be relevant to show here on the blog.
- Abortion in Argentina is non-punishable in some causes.
- Abortion is the leading cause of death for pregnant women.
- Legal or illegal, women will have an abortion either way.
- The upper class abort in silence and in dollars. The poor girls are the ones that dies.
- Abortion is an issue of public health care, social justice and human rights.
- Legal abortion for not to die, contraceptives for not having to abort, sexual education for deciding.
- Motherhood from the desire not from an order.
- Take away their rosary (catholic prayer beads) from our ovaries.
- Clandestine abortion as a business of few.
A painting on the faculty building that is demanding the access to legal abortion as a decolonization of women’s bodies.
Finishing this post with a less important picture of me eating Argentinian fires, the best ones with cheese, onion and bacon.