Practice job interviews before they take place is a smart strategy.
Job interviews used for training purposes go under the name mock interviews. It’s an ideal way to practice for job interviews because you’ll learn what to expect in a real situation. The interviewer will provide you with constructive feedback and you’ll be able to modify your responses and interview behavior if necessary.
Careers Service will provide you with the opportunity to interview with a professional recruiter in April 2014. For more information and for signing up, please visit Future Finder. The event will be held twice: In Swedish April 3rd and in English April 24th.
How to prepare for a mock interview
Be sure to take your interview as seriously as you would an actual interview. Get ready for the interview just as you would for an interview with a hiring manager:
- Arrive a few minutes early, and bring your resume and any other materials you would bring to a real interview
- Bring a notebook to take notes on what your interviewer tells you
- Dress in professional way, as you would for a real interview (By dressing up, you’re putting yourself in the frame of mind to take the mock interview seriously.)
Your mock interviewer will ask you a number of questions. Often questions are general and the type of questions you can expect in the first interview round.
You can also do mock interviews with friends and family. In that situation you have to put together a list of questions for your mock interviewer to use.
What are some of the benefits of a Mock interview?
- It helps you reduce the stress about interviewing
- You are provided with constructive feedback that will help you understand what you need to work on
- Prepare you for tricky interview questions
- Help you identify your strengths and weaknesses
Even if you think your interviewing skills are at a high level take it’s still a good idea to practice. There are always things that we can learn and improve on when it comes to making a great impression on a prospective employer!
Good luck with preparing for your mock interview!